English is a fundamental life skill that enables children to listen, speak, read and write for a wide range of purposes. Caversham Park Primary School provides an environment where children are encouraged to express themselves clearly and creatively in both spoken and written form. In addition, pupils at Caversham Park Primary School are exposed to wide range of literature in order to ensure that they become enthusiastic, responsible and confident readers and writers. This will enable our learners to access wide range of experiences and learn across the wider curriculum.
English Aims and Objectives:
- To enable pupils to speak clearly and audibly, taking account of their audience and the purpose.
- To encourage pupils to listen with confidence in order to recall, question and understand what has been said.
- To provide the children with a wide experience of language and vocabulary in order to develop pupil’s confidence to use and explore language.
- To develop confident and independent readers through the teaching of word, sentence and text level knowledge and skills.
- To expose pupils to a wide range of literature and genres to ensure they are enthusiastic and reflective readers.
- To promote the enjoyment of writing and provide opportunities for pupils to write confidently and creatively in a variety of contexts.
- To encourage and develop the accurate use of handwriting, spelling, punctuation and grammar in all forms of writing.
- To equip pupils with the skills to plan, draft and edit their own pieces of work.
- To provide pupils with opportunities to communicate, read and write widely and use these skills independently throughout all areas of the curriculum.
Our English Subject Leader is Mrs. J. Twyford.
PLEASE SCROLL DOWN THE PAGE TO SEE FURTHER INFORMATION